Sunday, February 11, 2007

First Vista...now Vienna?

I read today that Microsoft has announced that their next new OS to be released will be in 2009, and is code named Vienna. This seems odd to me...

First it took them 6 years to roll out Vista from when they released Windows XP. What makes them think they can deliver this by 2009?

Second...why would they announce this? Given the cost of the new OS I think this would give someone pause before forking over money for Vista. The prices range from $99 to $259 depending upon which flavor you get or if it is a full version or upgrade version. If I was going to have to purchase a new OS in 2 years time I may think twice before buying Vista now.

Of course nobody really HAS to purchase a new OS. I know some people that are still hanging onto Windows 98 and Windows 2000. As I write this post my laptop is whizzing along on Windows XP Pro even though an upgrade copy of Vista Business Edition has been sitting on my desk for 2 weeks....more on that in another post.

By announcing Vienna I think MS may have undercut themselves a bit. I am sure people will adopt Vista, and I expect that Vienna will experience delays just as Vista did. Perhaps 2012? Time will tell.

No comments: