Saturday, February 03, 2007

Like an RSS feed for Web Pages

Lately I have been getting into mining for information on the internet, and setting up RSS feeds to gather information. I first became interested in this while reading a book called Information Trapping: Real-Time Research on the Web. Basically it deals with setting up traps for information. These traps are based on queries you set up on news aggregators or on RSS feeds. I am still working my way through the book so I don't have all the specifics down yet, but it is cool. It allows you to come up with a very specific set of criteria for a search , and then delivers the content from a site or a blog to you whenever something new is published on the internet that matches your criteria. So you could set up RSS feeds for newspapers, websites, and blogs, or anything offering an RSS feed. RSS feeds and traps based on search parameters allow you to sift through a massive amount of information very quickly.

While browsing the web last night I found something that works in a similar way for web browsing. Google has a new application called Reader. I just set mine up last night and it appears that they have several websites bundled together by subject. You can subscribe to a particular subject and they feed updates to the website to your browser, and all the new articles appear in a panel on the left hand side.

It's seems to be interesting. Time will tell if it is something I use.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: